Specialized 2018 Traverse SL Carbon wheelset
All-mountain wheels often fall into two categories—they’re either heavy and durable or light and flexy. And because of this, a lightweight, wide-profile, and enduro-ready carbon wheel seems like something only found in a fairytale, but lucky for you, we made it a reality. The Traverse SL Fattie brings all the features you need in an all-mountain wheel into one package, and it has the results to prove it.
Beginning with its big-boned name, the Traverse SL Fatties may be wide, but with a 30mm inner rim width, they’re far from the girth of a fat bike rim. But why so wide? Well, you've probably noticed that mountain bike rim widths have hovered between 19 and 23 millimeters for decades, and they've been long overdue for a change. In the search for a better wheel design, our engineers began testing 2.3 to 2.5-inch tires on 45-millimeter-wide fat bike rims to see what, if any, benefits could be found. It only took them a few rides to realize that the wider rims offered a variety of advantages, like adding additional tire volume, which better supports the tires in hard cornering, greatly improves traction because of the ability to run lower pressures, and noticeably increases rim stiffness. They did note that there is an occurrence of diminishing returns with increasing width, however, and after testing everything from 25mm to 45mm, determined that a 30mm inner width gave us the optimal width.
Ok, so they’re strong, impact-resistant, and tire supporting—they must be heavy, right? Wrong. Even though “fattie” is in their name, they're far from fat. During the development of the Control SL, we learned the importance of using high modulus carbon fiber to reduce weight, and we embedded this technology into the Traverse SL Fattie rim, resulting in an all-mountain wheel that, at 1600 grams, is as light as many wheels in the XC category. To achieve this weight, we hand-build our rims to our own alloy hubs, using only the highest quality DT Swiss Revolution spokes. Inside our hubs, you'll find sealed cartridge bearings with a quick engaging 54t DT Swiss star ratchet system in the rear that allows you to power over rocks and roots without delay.
To further reduce overall system weight, we include our tubeless plug system that saves an additional 60 grams when compared to a rim strip. And whether you need a lightweight, carbon wheelset to get you through an enduro stage as quickly as possible or one to shred your local rock garden, the Traverse SL Fattie has you covered.
- Rim Type: Carbon clincher, 2Bliss Ready, Zero Bead Hook design.
- Rim Material: Carbon fiber
- Rim Width: 30mm internal
- Front Spoke Pattern: Radial/Three-cross (2:1)
- Rear Spoke Pattern: Three-cross (1:1)
- Spoke Count: 24-hole Front, 28-hole Rear
- Spoke Type: DT Swiss Revolution
- Nipple Type: DT Swiss Pro Lock hexagonal
- Front Hub: alloy body, 15/20mm thru-axle—end cap options included
- Rear Hub: CNC-machined alloy body, high-quality DT 350 internals and 54t quick engagement ratchet system cassette, includes SRAM XX1 11-speed freehub and 142 end caps
- Includes 142 drive-side end cap for 10-speed freehub body—freehub sold separately
- Bearing Type: Sealed cartridge
- Assembly Method: Hand-built
- Every wheel includes tubeless valve stems in order to make tubeless set-up a touch easier.
- Total Wheelset Weight: 1,570g